At the heart of QIAGEN’s business is a vision to make improvements in life possible.
We are on an exciting mission to make a real difference in science and healthcare. We are still the entrepreneurial company we started out as and have today achieved a size where we can bring our full power to many initiatives and to our presence across the globe.
Our most valuable asset are our employees – more than 6000 in over 35 locations around the world. Our ambition is to ensure we have outstanding and passionate people working in the best teams and we are constantly looking for new talent to join us.
There are few players who have shaped the world of modern science and healthcare as much as QIAGEN, and we have only just started.
If you are looking to advance your career, are seeking new challenges and opportunities, enjoy working in dynamic and international, diverse teams and want to make a real impact on people’s lives, then QIAGEN is where you need to be.
Join us. At QIAGEN, you make a difference every day.
QIAGEN Digital Insights is a leading provider of bioinformatics software and knowledge bases used by life scientists to gain insight from the molecular information in their biological samples. We have developed industry-leading software tools for analysis and reporting of biological data. We are passionate about our users, products, and our vision, and are seeking smart, motivated engineers and scientists who are eager to join our team in creating software that helps improve people’s lives.
Our mission is to make improvements in life possible. We accomplish this by designing tools used in labs all over the world to facilitate scientific discovery and progress, focused in genomics.
Located in Redwood City, CA, QIAGEN offers a professional work environment, competitive benefits, and values work-life balance.
As a Bioinformatics Engineer, you will be part of a collaborative, cross-functional team of scientists, bioinformaticians, knowledge engineers, and software engineers building powerful tools to gain biological insight into RNA-Seq and DNA-Seq data. You will use your background in biological science and programming skills to assure the scientific quality of biological interpretations, supporting analytics, and information in our applications. We have built a world-class Knowledge Base rich with molecular and functional relationships derived from scientific literature and biological databases. In combination with our Knowledge Base, we use semantic technologies and other computational techniques to provide biological context to our analytics. You will develop scalable methods to assess the correctness and completeness of our biological information and the accuracy and reliability of our analytics and interpretations. This is an excellent opportunity to be directly involved in developing our technology, delivering a high-quality product, and making an impact on human healthcare.
• Review and refine data and software requirements, use cases, and workflows for product features to ensure that they are scientifically valid, technically robust, and testable.
• Develop and improve pipelines for content acquisition including article selection for targeted manual curation.
• Work collaboratively with the other team members to make decisions on content modeling and integration for all QIAGEN products and services.
• Contribute to quality control and reliability efforts for our processes, pipelines, tools, and models that support development, build, and maintenance our biological content.
• Proven ability to solve problems using programming skills, especially in Perl, Python, or Java. 5+ years of experience or formal or advanced training preferred.
• Strong background in genetics and molecular biology.
• Familiarity with bioinformatics tools in genome biomedical research (e.g., genomic databases, genome browsers, mutation repositories).
• Experience with database design and programming (e.g. PostgreSQL, Oracle).
• Graduate degree in genetics, molecular biology, bioinformatics, or related field.
Preferred (one or more of the following):
• Experience in developing bioinformatics data pipelines including testing and deployment to production systems.
• Experience in working with formalized Quality Assurance (QA) processes within a Quality Management System (QMS).
• Strong understanding of medical genetics, pharmacogenetics, molecular pathology, or oncology.
• Knowledge of information extraction (IE), data integration, ontology, semantic technology, machine learning (ML), or natural language processing (NLP).
• Knowledge of software development best practices, quality controls, testing techniques.
• Excellent critical and analytical thinking skills.
• Strong attention to detail.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
What we offer
At the heart of QIAGEN are our people who drive our success. We act with passion, always challenging the status quo to drive innovation and continuous improvement. We inspire with our leadership and make an impact with our actions. We create a collaborative, safe and engaging workplace which forms the basis for high performing individuals and teams. We drive accountability and entrepreneurial decision-making and want you to excel your growth and shape the future of QIAGEN.
QIAGEN is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), sex stereotyping (including but not limited to assumptions about a person’s appearance or behavior, gender roles, gender expression, or gender identity), gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, mental or physical disability, ancestry, medical condition, marital status, military or veteran status, citizenship status, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other status protected by applicable law.
QIAGEN complies with applicable laws regarding the confidentiality of employee health information and the reasonable accommodation of individuals with disabilities and/or sincerely held religious beliefs. Candidates who require accommodation should contact Benefits@QIAGEN.com. This policy is part of QIAGEN’s ongoing efforts to support public health efforts and to ensure the safety and-well-being of its employees, customers, business partners, and community.
The estimated base salary range for this position is 90.000-125.000 USD. Compensation will be based on the candidate’s experience, skills, geographic location, and other job-related factors. In addition to base salary, we offer a total compensation package that includes annual performance bonus and generous benefits.